Detective Inspector Dave Lynch of Counties Manukau Police has confirmed that, following a complaint from Whale Oil blogger Cameron Slater, an investigation is under way that will be conducted “in accordance with standard procedure.”
Mr Lynch declined to say what the complaint is about because it’s an active investigation.
Mr Slater, however, has told NBR ONLINE that the complaint relates to the “hacking of my email and social media accounts, along with the DoS attack against my webserver.”
Information gleaned from the hacking forms the centrepiece of Nicky Hager’s recently released book Dirty Politics.
Meanwhile, Mr Slater says he’s currently “in the process of recruiting journalists, sub-editors and support staff” for the news website that will run parallel to his Whale Oil blog.
Beyond that, Mr Slater won’t discuss his plans for the site, which NBR understands is meant to launch before the election and is bankrolled by former Kim Dotcom supporter Tony Lentino
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Rob Hosking's take on the Election 2017 provisional result, and what's likely to happen next
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson featuring Nick Shewring
- Shane Solly on what higher government bond yields mean for local equities
- Professor Andrew Geddis on the rules of engagement for MMP negotiations
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 22, with Grant Walker