Officials in Marin County, California, say Hollywood star Robin Williams hanged himself with a belt at his home.
The world has been mourning the 63-year-old actor-comedian’s self-inflicted death at his home in Tiburon, just north of San Francisco, since it was announced at midday on Monday local time.
Giving the first details, Lt Keith Boyd, an assistant deputy chief coroner for Marin County, said a personal assistant knocked on Mr Williams’ bedroom door at around 11:45am on Monday and grew concerned when he did not answer.
The assistant went inside and found Mr Williams slightly suspended from a door frame in a seated position, Lt Boyd said. The assistant called 911 and emergency workers arrived at noon, and declared him dead at 12:02pm.
The authorities found a pocket knife with dried blood on it and superficial wounds on Mr Williams’ left wrist, Lt Boyd said. Mr Williams was declared dead by asphyxiation by hanging.
Officials said Mr Williams had been treated for depression. They declined to comment on whether there was a suicide note.
His death follows the suicide of another Hollywood star Philip Seymour Hoffman in February. They both appeared in Patch Adams, based on the real-life story of a doctor who treated mental illness with humour.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Calida Smylie looks at the discrepancies in Kiwisaver funds' fees
- Synlait MD John Penno on adding value, moving up from commodity products
- Nyriad co-founder Alex St. John on why NZ is bursting with quality computer engineers
- Ethique founder Brianne West on launching a new funding round
- Massey University vice-chancellor Professor Jan Thomas discusses why the Albany campus needs an innovation hub
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 22, with Grant Walker