Qantas will resume flights with some of its A380s this week, after safety concerns kept them grounded following an engine explosion in one of them as it flew over Indonesia.
Alan Joyce, the airline’s chief executive, said today that flights would begin again on Saturday.
Two of the aircraft will resume flying this week and the airline hopes to have four of its six A380s back in service before Christmas, Mr Joyce said.
However, the planes will only be flying certain routes and will have restrictions on using full thrust.
The plane involved in the mid-air incident is still in Singapore, where it was forced to make an emergency landing.
It remains under investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Qantas said.
The announcement hasn't made much impact on Qantas shares (ASX:QAN), which have risen only 2c (0.38%) to $A2.64 in today's trading.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Gareth Morgan's sizeable donations to his own party revealed
- Kiwi business traveller stranded in San Francisco after United de-planes his wallet and passport
- Budget 2017: What's been announced so far, what's tipped for today
- SeaDragon confirms full-year loss will widen
- Chorus increases bank facility, pushes out maturity date for increased flexibility, certainty
Most listened to
- David Seymour gives Gareth Morgan a serve as the latest political party donations are disclosed
- Those pre-budget announcements aren’t as big as they look. Joyce still has lots of fiscal room, says Rob Hosking
- Tony Falkenstein claims to have NZX shareholder support for his bid to become a director
- Pacific Edge CEO David Darling on progress with key US customers
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 19, with Grant Walker