Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris was given a five year, nine month sentence overnight NZ time, but a Guardian report says he could be out within three years with good behaviour.
On Monday, a jury unanimously found Harris guilty of 12 indecent assaults against four girls — including one aged just seven or eight.
At his sentencing Friday, the judge made some jail terms concurrent and some consecutive, giving a total which was less than some observers had predicted.
The bad news for Harris: Attorney General Dominic Grieve is set to review the sentence following immediate complaints it was too light.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Regional economic development, job creation and immigration key priorities for the Coalition
- Lewis Road sells 25% stake to Swedish-backed institutional farmland fund
- Slum developer ignores court and jams illegal homes on to residential sites
- What's in the Labour/NZ First agreement for businesses? Not much, so far
- More red ink at Fuji Xerox NZ
Most listened to
- Lewis Road ceo Peter Cullinane says Southern Pastures was the best fit of potential investors they spoke to
- Telecommunications Users Association's Craig Young says Vocus are getting ready for a familiar experience, getting sold
- Labour leader Jacinda Ardern and NZ First leader Winston Peters discuss their foreign ownership plans
- Rodney Hide, unlike the public, is unsurprised at the insanity of politics
- Jacqueline Rowarth on how food production advances have influenced our consumption habits
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily