Google’s Android is finally gaining traction. Just days after news that HP is testing an Android-powered netbook, Samsung has confirmed it has three cellphones on the way running Google’s OS.
Speaking to Forbes at the CITA Wireless trade show, Samsung’s executive vice president of global product strategy, Dr. Won-Pyo Hong, says his company has an Android model due for international release in June. Two other Android models will be released later in the year, both destined for US carriers.
So far, Taiwan’s HTC has had the Android phone market to itself, with its G1 - confined to T-Mobile in the US (bar a little parallel importing) - but soon to be followed up by the G2 or “Magic” which will be released on Vodafone networks worldwide, including New Zealand.
Beyond Samsung, Motorola is the only other A-list cellphone maker to have announced firm Android plans (including a Motorola Android phone scheduled for New Zealand release later this year).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- TechDay and NetGuide publisher settles with liquidators, creditors left $2m short
- Big swings in Orion Health's share price ahead of key earnings announcement today
- PM defends MPI as criticism over myrtle rust spread mounts
- Businesses sign up for new way of reporting on diversity
- While you were sleeping: Draghi to stick with QE
Most listened to
- Lawyer Adina Thorn discusses her decision to launch a class action against Carter Holt Harvey over its Shadowclad product
- Westpac senior economist Satish Ranchhod says student inflows continue to be a big driver of growth
- Spark chief executive Simon Moutter says getting in tune with your market is a major benefit from diversity
- Nevil Gibson reveals rising life expectancy rates could increase pension costs even higher
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker