Sanford [NZX: SAN], the listed fishing company, agreed to buy the assets of Greenshell NZ Limited and Greenshell Investments from the receivers of the mussel farming and processing group.
No price was disclosed in a statement from Sanford. Chief executive Volker Kuntzsch said the assets "were a strategic fit for Sanford's aquaculture business as they allow for improved supplies from a wider geography."
Receivers Brendon Gibson and Grant Graham of KordaMentha were appointed last November by Rabobank after depressed prices for the shellfish over a number of years culminated in a "significant" operating loss in 2012.
Directors of the company had tried unsuccessfully to sell the assets and there were concerns about its ongoing viability and "various complex contractual arrangements," according to the first receivers' report. The mussel farms were kept operating pending the sale of assets. Liabilities had outstripped assets by $179,000as at Sept. 30 last year, the report said.
"Sanford will be working with the farmers and existing staff to ensure the growing and harvesting operations continue seamlessly," Sanford's Kuntzsch said. He expects the purchase to be completed this week.
The fishing company picked up another mussel business affected by Greenshell New Zealand's troubles in 2012 when it teamed with Sealord to buy North Island Mussel Processors from receivers McGrathNicol. That business had been a joint venture between Sealord, Sanford and Greenshell New Zealand.
Shares of Sanford rose 0.7 percent to $4.29 and have declined 8.4 percent this year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Businiess with Andrew Patterson featuring Dr Clyde Smith
- Forsyth Barr’s Kevin Stirrat talks through the market reaction to the new government
- Iron Duke director Phil O'Reilly on how concerned businesses should be about the new Labour-led government
- New Sky TV NZ director Mike Darcey on the skills he brings from Sky UK, and what it's like working for Rupert Murdoch
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily