Defence Minister Wayne Mapp has confirmed that SAS troops will stay in Afghanistan until March next year.
Dr Mapp was questioned about New Zealand's special forces and aid efforts in the war-torn country in a defence select committee meeting today.
He said Cabinet had approved the provincial reconstruction team's placement in Bamiyan province until September next year and the SAS contingent until March.
He said the Defence Force anticipated New Zealand would retain some form of presence within the reconstruction team beyond next year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Order Paper: Rob Hosking on good intentions, political correctness and social investment
- Levante S is the ultimate Maserati SUV… and it’s coming to NZ
- Is Pence poised to dump Trump? asks Michael Coote
- Michael Wigley on the rising cybersecurity challenges for boards; the risks for directors; and how to deal with them
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker