Defence Minister Wayne Mapp has confirmed that SAS troops will stay in Afghanistan until March next year.
Dr Mapp was questioned about New Zealand's special forces and aid efforts in the war-torn country in a defence select committee meeting today.
He said Cabinet had approved the provincial reconstruction team's placement in Bamiyan province until September next year and the SAS contingent until March.
He said the Defence Force anticipated New Zealand would retain some form of presence within the reconstruction team beyond next year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker and Andrew Patterson
- John Glengarry says the Lacoste trade mark battle has brought certainty to trade mark law
- Folded arms greet Tillerson in Mexico and travel ban update delayed, on Trump's Beltway
- Stewart Germann and Gehan Gunasekara go head-to-head on the franchising debate
- Rob Hosking rates Jacinda Ardern's chances in Mt Albert