Sky TV questions 'supposed sale' of My Box for $12.5m

Krish Reddy (Facebook)

A side-controversy has emerged as Sky TV waits for a verdict in its multi-million piracy case against Matamata company My Box, founded by Krish Reddy.

On Anzac Day, Mr Reddy sent a press release saying My Box had been sold to a Chinese buyer for $12.5 million. The deal was done on Monday, he said. His PR was picked up by Stuff and The NZ Herald.

Late Friday, a Sky TV insider mocked the stories, calling the transaction "the supposed sale."

NBR phoned Mr Reddy but he did not return the call. NBR's questions include whether he can name the buyer, and if he can supply any documentation to prove the sale took place.

The Sky insider adds that, even if there was a sale, it won't affect the outcome of the case.

My Box sells so-called "Kodi" boxes, which can be used to access streams from offshore TV channels that are usually geo-blocked to New Zealanders.

In an earlier phone call with NBR, Mr Reddy claimed to have sold more than 17,000 My Box units.

The Matamata man says that, like a PC or smartphone, a My Box unit is technology neutral. It can be used for good or bad.

Early in the trial process, Lowndes Jordan partner Rick Shera told NBR that the case could hinge on whether My Box was pre-loaded with software designed to actively facilitate copyright infringement.

Mr Reddy refused NBR's request to detail what software was pre-loaded with My Box.

Sky has similar proceedings under way against a second Kodi box importer, Christchurch-based Fibre TV.

Mr Reddy said in his press release that My Box has generated sales outside New Zealand.

Sky notes broadcasters in multiple countries have launched legal action against Kodi box makers and sellers, with a notable crackdown in the UK after a landmark case ended with a guilty plea. Kodi boxes have been a particular pain point for pay-TV broadcasters over live sport. A BBC report says Kodi box use in the UK to watch otherwise paywalled English Premier League games has reached "epidemic" proportions. One estimate holds that one-third of EPL games are now watched via illegal streams.

In New Zealand, a complication is that the Copyright Act (1994) was written before the internet – let alone video streaming from offshore – went mainstream.

The so-called “Global Mode” case in 2015 failed to set a precedent after Orcon (on the verge of being sold to M2, itself on the verge of merging with Vocus) and other defendants threw in the towel and reached a confidential settlement before a case brought by Sky, Spark, MediaWorks and Spark got to court.

The coalition says an updated version of the act could go before Parliament before year's end.

Sky's damages case against My Box wrapped up last month in the Auckland High Court. Judge Warwick Smith reserved his decision. It could be several months until it's delivered.

13 · Got a question about this story? Leave it in Comments & Questions below.

Who would pay $12.5m for this business when faced with the law suit. Sounds like hot air to me.

A potential buyer would also have to consider the relatively low barriers to entry for anyone wanting to make or sell Kodi boxes, plus (if any unique IP from My Box is involved), the Kodi community's generally laissez-faire attitude to intellectual property rights.

$12.5M of Sell My Good tokens (aka SMG Cash) maybe. A bargain really.

I’m calling Bullsh*t!

Would you believe this clown.
If he had a sale for the amount claimed would he want sky to know about it.
I think not....I think the whole thing is a nonsense.

You forgot to mention
"This company is now overdue in its obligation to file an annual return. If the annual return is not filed immediately the Registrar will initiate action to remove the company from the register."

Well, quite. Earlier stories have noted that Sky has been able to shut down My Box's sales channels.

have a read here of all the suckers he ripped off..
facebook group
"Issues with MyBox NZ"

There is a thread with a similar theme on Geekzone: https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=151&topicid=210210

Seems stupid though. If you were about to be tagged with a big judgment - why would you tell every body that you have just banked $12.5 m. Assets sold ( not company) so in that case that presumably it can be pulled back as a voidable trans ? (My guess is it never happened).

No debtor / creditor relationship between buyer and seller, so how would it be a voidable transaction ?

I was more pointing out - Sky gets a big judgement against the company, they proceed against company, company goes into liquidation, liquidator looks to proceeds of sale - but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how this would work. Was just pointing out that it seems weird to come out with press saying you had just banked 12.5 Large when you are about to get tagged with a big award by guys with resource to do something about it. The My Box guy also just got tagged with a ERT award for some massage business he runs - he was a no show so uncontested...

Why worry he has $12.5m in the bank.....

CAPTCHA