Spark and Vodafone are both offering free calls to cyclone Gita-hit Samoa and Tonga.
Spark says the cost of all landline and mobile calls, and texts, to the islands will be automatically credited back to customers' accounts for the period 9am Tuesday, February 13, to 9am Thursday, February 15.
Vodafone is offering the same offer but with slightly different timing: from 5pm Tuesday, February 13, to 9am Thursday, February 15.
“We’d recommend texting for the time being as this is a lighter load for networks to manage,” Vodafone consumer director Matt Williams says.
Vodafone has also set up a Red Cross txt-to-donate campaign.
2degrees is not offering free calls but communications manager Paul Brislen says the telco is donating the money earned by calls and text messages to Tonga and Samoa from midday Tuesday, February 13, and to midday Thursday, February 15, to relief funds for the islands.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- A2 CEO Geoff Babidge on the Fonterra alliance and first-half results
- Brent Edwards runs down Mfat's CPTPP analysis report
- Little Bird's Jeremy Bennett explains why the company is equity crowdfunding
- Fletcher CEO Ross Taylor on results, CFO Bevan McKenzie on banks
- Rodney Hide thinks he knows the real reason behind high child hospitalisation rates, and it's not the housing crisis
- NBR Radio: The best interviews – updated daily, with Grant Walker