Labour leader David Shearer has suddenly softened to challenger David Cunliffe - dropping a strong hint the New Lynn MP could return to the front bench if he renounces any claim on the top job.
Just four days after his Alpha Male move to demote one-time finance spokesman, Mr Shearer gave him new hope when interviewed on TV3's The Nation today.
"I have an enormous amount of respect for him; his knowledge around the economic issues and his knowledge of the politics that surround economic issues. He’s very talented," Mr Shearer said.
"I would like to have him in a high position and that door is certainly open to him
"He just needs to put his head down and work for the team, for all of the caucus. Let’s put ambition aside."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Calida Smylie looks at the discrepancies in Kiwisaver funds' fees
- Synlait MD John Penno on adding value, moving up from commodity products
- Nyriad co-founder Alex St. John on why NZ is bursting with quality computer engineers
- Ethique founder Brianne West on launching a new funding round
- Massey University vice-chancellor Professor Jan Thomas discusses why the Albany campus needs an innovation hub
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 22, with Grant Walker