Susan Couch, the sole survivor of an attack at an Auckland Returned and Services Association in which three people were murdered, will receive a settlement of $300,000 from the Corrections Department.
The attack, 11 years ago, left Ms Couch partially paralysed and with brain damage by William Bell, who was on parole for aggravated robbery.
The settlement amount was embargoed until 7pm tonight, when Ms Couch talked exclusively with John Campbell live on TV3. Ms Couch’s lawyer Brian Henry and Corrections chief Ray Smith also appeared on Campbell Live.
In the Campbell Live interview, Ms Couch said of the outcome and settlement:
"Very mixed emotions. I'm exhausted, I'm over it right now. It's been nearly 11 years of government departments which will still continue even after the settlement.
"I'm looking at it as the closest to an apology I'll get. People dont realise when they make an apology they are validating someones suffering and not just ignoring them.
"It's not a formal apology, it's a 'whoops sorry, our bad' but I'll take it."
Her lawyer Mr Henry argued before the High Court in May that Bell's probation officer had been inexperienced and her bosses had failed to supervise her.
Watch the full interview here.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Infometrics economist Mieke Welvaert says net migration may have reached that “peak point”
- The Warehouse boss Nick Grayston discusses the group's future
- Shane Solly on what higher government bond yields mean for local equities
- Professor Andrew Geddis on the rules of engagement for MMP negotiations
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 22, with Grant Walker