Tui and its ad agency have been richly rewarded for branching out from its “Yeah Right” proposition.
Although Tui still makes the billboards it is famous for, two quite different campaigns for the beer brand have won Cannes Lions at the worldwide advertising festival overnight.
DB Breweries has won in the PR category, and Promo and Activations category for “Catch a Million” and “Beer Plumber” respectively.
Its “Catch a Million” campaign that Saatchi & Saatchi worked on with ApolloNation, won a prestigious gold lion. DB's Tui team worked on the PR campaign which took out the award.
The cricket promotion cost the brewery just $200,000 in prize money and earned more than half a million dollars in overseas PR coverage alone.
The competition mechanics were simple – fans who wore an orange Tui t-shirt and a lanyard who made a clean, one-handed catch at one of 12 matches received $100,000. Two fans were successful.
The brewery is a long-time sponsor of the Black Caps as Tui is the team’s official beer.
Tui and Saatchi together picked up a bronze lion in promo & activations for its “Beer Plumber” prank, where a man returned home to find his taps poured beer instead of water. The PR for that campaign was done by Porter Novelli.
As The National Business Review reported in October 2013, Tui’s prank was a viral sensation amassing 6.5 million viewers in one week by making headlines internationally.
The Cannes international festival of creativity began this week and Saatchi are the first Kiwi agency to pick up gongs at the week-long award show which concludes on Saturday.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- First Union's Phil Graham on why Firth drivers are striking
- Now that the government has been confirmed, Rob Hosking looks at the ruling parties' next moves
- CMC Markets founder Peter Cruddas discusses market volatility and shake-ups
- Jenny Ruth wonders how rowdy the Fletcher Building AGM will be
- Escea boss Nigel Bamford on southern charm and being design-led
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily