Auckland Council's transport arm has fired the person responsible for complaining to the employer of a woman who criticised it on Twitter.
Auckland Transport communications manager Sharon Hunter would not confirm what the person's job was, only saying: "The person no longer works for Auckland Transport as of the end of yesterday. The person was a contractor."
The Twitter bullying incident – which has drawn a huge response from readers – was sparked by a tweet by Telecom employee Tara Sutherland on Monday, expressing disdain at the council's excessive parking rates.
Shortly after, the unidentified Auckland Transport contractor complained to Telecom about the tweet.
NBR ONLINE posted a story about the incident about lunch time on Tuesday and the person who snitched to Telecom was gone hours later.
The story prompted a flurry of comments from readers attacking the council's bullying tactics, many with their own stories of council bureaucratic madness.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- First Retail Group's Chris Wilkinson on Pumpkin Patch's worsening situation
- SkyCity ‘strangling the golden goose’
- The Prime Minister says National will "put up a good showing if we can" in the Roskill by-election
- Dick Quax challenges Phil Goff on housing market. He explains what he wants the mayor-elect to do