BUSINESSDESK: Wellington's commercial property market is forecast to remain subdued for the next four years, Kiwi Income Property Trust says.
The capital's core central business district vacancy rate is 11.6%. The property investor forecasts the rate to remain above 11% until 2016. In Auckland the vacancy rate is 14% and is forecast to decline to less than 10% over the next four years.
"The net rental outlook in Wellington is not helped by increases in insurance premiums which are largely unrecoverable due to the gross structure of leases across the city," chief executive Chris Gudgeon told shareholders at the company's annual meeting.
"Activity in the investment market is also likely to be hindered by concern around seismic ratings."
Kiwi Income has committed to spending $35 million on earthquake strengthening for Wellington's Majestic Centre to achieve a "low risk" classification. Strengthening work started last month and will be progressively completed over the next two to three years.
The Auckland-based company is also reviewing its portfolio to secure a "low risk" earthquake classification across the remainder of its buildings. The programme will be rolled out over the next 10 years at a cost of up to $40 million.
The strengthening work relates to "buildings that in pre-earthquake days we were perfectly happy with as a legally compliant buildings – but now, with the new earthquake consciousness, we think would benefit from strengthening", Mr Gudgeon says.
The trust is "encouraged" that 85% of its properties are in the recovering retailer sector or in the Auckland office market.
In May, Kiwi Income posted an $89.2 million annual net profit from a $26.4 million loss a year earlier, reflecting an insurance payout on its PricewaterhouseCoopers building in Christchurch offset by property valuation cuts.
Its shares are currently down 0.5% trading at $1.09.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Shareholder lobby wants Fletcher board to seek re-election after 'construction division debacle'
- NBR Rich List backlash the canary in the cold mine, pointing to an ‘anti-wealth’ election: commentator
- ComCom probes Suncorp blocking stake
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares mixed, A2, Fletcher rally while Tower drops 28% on merger decline
- While you were sleeping: Fed flags unwinding balance sheet
Most listened to
- Jason Walls questions Simon Bridges about the Fuji Xerox government contracts
- Eric Crampton explains the NBR Rich List backlash
- Asia New Zealand Foundation executive director Simon Draper says schools should teach more Asia-focused subjects
- Nevil Gibson explains the rise of a new group of young adults who still live at home with their parents
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended July 21, with Grant Walker