Court Report: Dotcom hearing wraps up
Hamish McNicol discusses the latest court stories on NBR Radio and on demand on MyNBR Radio.
Hamish McNicol discusses the latest court stories on NBR Radio and on demand on MyNBR Radio.
Click the NBR Radio box for on-demand special feature audio: Hamish McNicol discusses the latest court stories
The extradition hearing for Kim Dotcom and his fellow Megaupload co-accused went six weeks into overtime but finally came to a close on Tuesday.
But a date for the decision on whether the accused will be extradited to the US remains unknown, court reporter Hamish McNicol says.
Mr Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato were charged by the US government in 2012 of conspiracy to operate websites used to distribute copyrighted material illegally.
All maintain they are innocent but the FBI says they generated $US175 million in criminal proceeds.
Earlier this week, a lawyer managed to avoid bankruptcy because of IRD’s “considerable” delay.
Auckland lawyer Peter James Boylan opposed the application on the grounds the notice served on him was invalid.
This was because the court had extended it twice, which Mr Boylan said it should not have done.
Justice Geoffrey Venning agreed, and in a judgment released last week has set aside the bankruptcy notice, which he declared “stale and a nullity.”
Use MyNBR Tags to track people and companies - and receive key-word email alerts. Find out how here.
Sign up to get the latest stories and insights delivered to your inbox – free, every day.