Five ways NZ retailers can win online

KeallHauled

Chris Keall

Warehouse Group chief digital officer Craig Jordan
whsadd to my Stocks
$
100.000%
Volume:

Retailers have successfully agitated for GST on all online purchases, and now they want all offshore retailers to register in New Zealand, too (something that would likely see many simply stratch NZ off the list of countries they deliver too). I can understand all that stick, I guess. But how about some carrots, too.

All NZ e-tailers should offer:

• A same-day delivery option. Good on those like Mighty Ape, Pet and Countdown who are already there.
  • One-click ordering (e.g. PayPal or MasterCard PayPass). Don't make me enter my credit card details every time. Retailers like JB Hi-Fi NZ and Event Cinemas show it can be done
  • A real-time delivery and order tracker
  • Click-and-collect (buy online and collect as soon as you can from a store or depot)
  • No questions asked refunds for online purchases, and easy returns

Some retailers offer some of the above online, but it's patchy. How can The Warehouse Group say its serious about online sales, for example, when it only has one-click purchase (the very core of Amazon's success) available for a handful of its its online properties?

Up your game, local e-tailers, then I might be able to stomach your GST agitation.

Use MyNBR Tags to track people and companies — and receive key-word email alerts. Find out how here.

12 · Got a question about this story? Leave it in Comments & Questions below.

Spot on Chris.

Bezos has stated that customer want three main things, lower prices, wider selection and faster delivery. Once Amazon figures out how to ship to New Zealand faster than local retailers then they will be toast, GST or not.

Excellent comment Chris.

Chris - on behalf of the plain people of NZ, I couldn't agree more with your comments. Lets hope that some of these guys take note! And while we are at, perhaps NZ retailers can up their game as well - I personally already vote with my wallet for better service.

why not just get rid of all gst on purchases and start taxing land gains!!! Would be a much fairer system and then allow our companies to compete with the imports

I agree GST needs to be added to offshore online retailers. While I do like being able to purchase goods at a discounted price, its not fair to NZ brick and mortar stores.
If GST is not added on overseas online purchases, what is to stop the Warehouse (or anyone else for that matter) from setting up a new business on some tropical island and then sell to us, using their locally contracted warehouse of course.

Because the goods would supplied locally regardless of the domicile of the invoicing company, it would be subject to GST. Penalties for evasion are a lot worse than avoidance.

Even a basic level of competency would be nice. I've ordered several times off Fishpond only to have the shipping date delayed by a month, or after three weeks decide to cancel the order because they couldn't get stock. Never again!

I agree completely - 15% GST so long as it is collected at source for online purchase won't be a hindrance. Having price and service tension in the market from alternative channels is all good from a consumer perspective.

Personally happy to have a higher cost local provider so long as service and support warrants it - happy also if I can get a book that I can't buy locally delivered to my door.

CAPTCHA