What's the story behind the story? Click the NBR Radio box for on-demand special feature audio.
Some Richie McCaw stats:
- Only four other players in history have played as many international tests as Richie McCaw has international victories
- 132 All Blacks have debuted for NZ since McCaw did in 2001
- Only three of the 15 games McCaw has lost for the All Blacks were by double digit margin
- NZ Player of the Year – 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012
- IRB Player of the Year – 2006, 2009, 2010
- NZ Sportsman of the Year – 2010, 2011
- 10 Bledisloe Cups
- 10 Tri Nations or Rugby Championships Cups
- Two World Cups
His playing record for the All Blacks:
- Argentina 10/10
- Australia 29/36
- British Lions 2/2
- Canada 2/2
- England 12/14
- Fiji 2/2
- France 12/13
- Georgia 1/1
- Ireland 14/14
- Italy 3/3
- Japan 1/1
- Namibia 1/1
- Romania 1/1
- Scotland 7/7
- Samoa 1/1
- South Africa 20/26
- Tonga 2/2
- Wales 11/11
Overall, he has won 131 of 148 test matches for a 89.2% success rate.
It is nearly impossible to declare someone the best rugby player of all time – how do you compare McCaw and Colin Meads, when the game now is so different from then. Both are legends. But I think I can safely conclude he is at least the best player in my lifetime.
Poilitical commentator and pollster David Farrar posts at Kiwiblog.