Net migration turns positive in August
However, annual migration figure remains in the doldrums as exodus to Australia continues.
However, annual migration figure remains in the doldrums as exodus to Australia continues.
New Zealand made a seasonally adjusted net gain of 200 permanent and long-term migrants in August, Statistics New Zealand says.
Monthly net migration had been negative since March 2011, when departures from Christchurch jumped following the 22 February earthquake that damaged the city.
However, despite the overall net gain, the net outflow of migrants from New Zealand to Australia was 2,700 in August, the highest recorded for an August month since 2008 (2,900).
In the year ended August, New Zealand had a net migration gain of 2,300, down from 14,500 the previous year.
The latest figure is below the average annual net migration gain of 12,000 over the last 20 years and is the lowest net gain since the October 2001 year (1,700).
The decrease in net migration, compared with 2010, was mainly due to an increase in departures to Australia.
Meanwhile, overseas trips by New Zealand residents and short-term visitor arrivals were both at record levels for an August month.
“Overseas trips by New Zealand residents were up 6 percent to 191,000,” population statistics manager Andrea Blackburn says.
“At the same time visitor arrivals were up 5% to 175,900 and there was a net inflow of permanent and long-term migrants for the first time since February.”
The largest increase in overseas trips by New Zealand residents in August was to Australia (up 4,500).
New Zealand residents also took more trips to Thailand, Fiji, India, and Malaysia. Fewer trips were taken to the United Kingdom (down 2,100).
The largest increase in visitor arrivals in August was from Australia (up 4,800). More visitors arrived from Malaysia, China, and Indonesia, but there were fewer visitors from the United States, Japan, and Korea.
In August, 4,400 visitors said that they were here for the Rugby World Cup. Of this figure, about half (2,100) arrived in the last week of August.
Since July 5,600 visitors have indicated they were arriving for the Rugby World Cup.
Sign up to get the latest stories and insights delivered to your inbox – free, every day.