Telecom says all 450 XT cellsites affected by yesterday’s outage were restored as of 3.45am today.
READ ALSO: First blood: Telecom CTO falls on sword
The failure, which began around 4pm yesterday, affected all XT customers Taupo southward, or around 200,000.
Voice calls were “significantly interrupted”, in Telecom’s words, while txt and mobile data were affected “to a lesser extent”.
Reynolds to speak
A media advisory issued at a quarter after midnight last night said the company’s chief executive, Paul Reynolds, would make an announcement about XT in Auckland this afternoon at around 3pm.
No further details were given - including even the location or timing - but in an email to corporate clients sent at 3.45am this morning, Chris Quin, chief executive of Telecom’s IT and telco services division, Gen-i Australasia wrote that he and other executives would be working on a new XT action plan this morning.
Earlier, Telecommunications Users Association boss Ernie Newman told NBR: “All this has the appearance of fire fighting rather than systematic remedial action. Users need more assurance that Telecom is getting the underlying issues isolated.”
Yesterday’s outage, was the network’s fourth, following major XT failures in December, late January, and again last week as an upgrade designed to make the network more robust went awry.
Mr Newman said XT’s problems were fast becoming a national economic issue and a public safety issue, and told NBR the government needed to start asking Telecom hard questions about the network.
Telecom has yet to comment on the cause of yesterday’s problems, which came in the wake of the Friday still-unexplained resignation of Alcatel-Lucent’s New Zealand country manager, Steve Lowe.
Telecom (NZX: TEL) shares were down one cent to $2.34 in early trading.
Tue, 23 Feb 2010